CRS
Chandler, Arizona, United States

There's an old saying. If you don't want someone to join a crowd, you ask them, "If everyone were jumping off of a cliff, would you?" Well, I have. So my answer would be "Yes". True story.
Profile continued . . .

ARCHIVES!
Review of Frances Ha

Saturday, March 01, 2014

this entry brought to you by frightened rabbit, "escape route"





Inside me is Frances Ha, and although I know I am not her in both positive and negative ways, in all situations I still feel like her. Played with delicious liveliness by Greta Gerwig, who is a perfect indie crush if ever I saw one, she is perpetually wanting to be happy, funny, and optimistic, yet constantly being let down by the reality that she does not quite fit in to her environment. Everyone around her seems to be successful, perhaps by accident or through gift of birth, yet she struggles in her dance company despite positive reinforcement of her mentor while struggling with the implication that she's not quite good enough. Her best friend (played with best-friend cuddliness if I've ever seen it by Mickey Sumner) is the exact same person as her, she feels, as they platonically sleep in each others bed, lovingly rest their heads on each others shoulder; yet the instant she is forced to move out due to finances they rapidly lose touch. She finds through mutual acquaintances that her friend's life is changing drastically without any attempt at keeping in touch. Her new roommates are too cool for school and despite seeming slackers, effortlessly go through life, with money from nowhere, having random hook ups as often as she notices. Yet Frances remains desperate in her optimistic playfulness, trying to play-fight unsuccessfully with a new potential friend, taking a random and ill-advised trip to Paris to tell herself she is as sophisticated and a free spirit as she hopes she is. I know I'm not Frances-- I don't ramble awkwardly and self-consciously at parties surrounded by sophisticated strangers; I tend to smile and try to make a joke and, once I've gotten a laugh I shrink back to myself. I don't lie to make myself seem less like less of a failure, I merely am vague and hope specifics don't come up. I'm not really much like Frances Ha at all, not really. But I feel like her almost constantly.


with love from CRS @ 1:20 PM 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment