CRS
Chandler, Arizona, United States

There's an old saying. If you don't want someone to join a crowd, you ask them, "If everyone were jumping off of a cliff, would you?" Well, I have. So my answer would be "Yes". True story.
Profile continued . . .

ARCHIVES!
Parents with Trophy Special Needs Kids

Monday, February 17, 2014

this entry brought to you by nine inch nails, "somewhat damaged"


You know, Sarah Palin isn't the only one who trots her special-needs child out like a trophy. If you spend any time around any sort of parenting forum, they are everywhere. They start talking about themselves as if they are heroes, as if there's no way you could possibly understand how hard it is, they prop themselves up on this pedestal. And keep in mind I'm not talking about all special needs parents-- I'm thinking of one specifically who is just the most humble, strong person you can imagine and never blabbed about her child as if she was this thing we should all admire her for. I'm talking specifically of the Sarah Palin types with their Trophy Children.

And whenever I meet one of these parents-- moms tend to be the worst about it, but dads are by far not immune to it-- I feel like saying, look. I could never imagine what you go through on a day to day basis. I've been, thank the lord, blessed with a healthy, incredibly active child, and there's not a single day that I don't count my lucky stars that things turned out the way that they did. And really, truly, you are admirable for what you do every day.

...But what, exactly, do you think the rest of us would do when put in your situation? Why do you act as if you're somehow special simply because you didn't throw the child in the waste basket? No, the rest of us would step up and do what we have to do, just like you did, because we're not fucking monsters. We would love our special needs children, because what else could we do? I'm not saying what you have isn't special, but it's not unique in any way. We all love our kids. We would all love our kids no matter what. That's kind of what being a parent is all about. And, frankly, I kind of resent the fact that you keep acting like the rest of us would forget that if we were put in your position.
------



with love from CRS @ 10:49 AM 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment