CRS
Chandler, Arizona, United States

There's an old saying. If you don't want someone to join a crowd, you ask them, "If everyone were jumping off of a cliff, would you?" Well, I have. So my answer would be "Yes". True story.
Profile continued . . .

ARCHIVES!
My Friend Eric on My Wedding Day

Sunday, June 24, 2012

this entry brought to you by dva, "tatanc"


When Michelle and I got married we wanted to keep it small, and while there was family, I didn't really invite many friends. I'm not really sure why I didn't invite Eric, he was certainly a good enough friend to be invited, and he knew Michelle, but I just felt like he wouldn't be interested. By this point he wasn't even a coworker of mine anymore, and we saw each other still, but in the few months since he'd stopped working with me, we'd seen each other only a hand full of times.

The day of the wedding came and my best man showed up and I realized that I would be spending the next few hours with just him. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but Michelle had all of her sisters and her mother with her all day, I thought, I should call up Eric. It was 2 o'clock by this point in time. We needed to be at the chapel by four.

"What's up?" he answered.

"Hey. What are you doing today?"

"Nuthin."

"Wanna go to a wedding?" I asked.

"Sure," he said.

"Can you be ready in forty minutes?" I asked.

"Uhm, okay," he said.

"Do you. Uh. You know you have to be dressed up and everything, right?"

"Yeah, no problem."

"Alright, see you in 40 minutes," I said.

Keep in mind I am 26 at this point in time, and Eric is five years younger than me. I thought he had a nice shirt that he would be dressed in, his Sunday clothes as they would call them down south. And hey, it's my wedding, I don't care if he's not renting a tux or anything, especially at the last minute.

We pull up to his house, and here, my geeky 21 year old friend Eric emerges from his house dressed in a three piece suit. Two fucking buttons! A fucking tie! Cuff links! He looked better than I did in my rented tux!

"What the fuck," I said, mind blown.

"Yeah, I've had it for years. Here." He handed me a present, wrapped. "My mom keeps extra presents around in case of emergencies like this. You can, uh, open it if you want, it's not a big deal."

It was a spindle of picture frames! And no, it wasn't a big deal, but it was exactly the kind of thing people give you on your wedding, and it was at the last minute.

I was thinking about Eric earlier. I don't talk to him much nowadays. But you know what? That guy's a true friend.
-----



with love from CRS @ 8:15 AM 

1 Comments:

This seriously makes me tear up.

Post a Comment