CRS
Chandler, Arizona, United States

There's an old saying. If you don't want someone to join a crowd, you ask them, "If everyone were jumping off of a cliff, would you?" Well, I have. So my answer would be "Yes". True story.
Profile continued . . .

ARCHIVES!
Aborting Because of Gender

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

this entry brought to you by nine inch nails, "we're in this together"


I believe in a woman's right to choose. I believe that there are circumstances where it's the best plan of action. I even believe in abortion in the case where a woman is physically able to have the child, but doesn't want to. Listen, if you want to not have children so badly that you'd be willing to destroy it, that probably means you'd be a bad parent-- and I'm not judging when I say that. And why would I want to wish that on a child? To grow up in a family that doesn't want it?

With that said, I was listening to an editorial recently about these tests that can determine the baby's gender within days of getting pregnant. In fact, the technology has been around for years, it's just now getting so cheap-- about 300 bucks a test-- that average people can do it. And American people, for a few years now, have been aborting because of gender-- sometimes it's so early they can still use chemical abortions, before it starts to develop anything real.

Listen, a no-good, drugged-up dummy getting knocked up and having an abortion, or a teenager who should've known better but didn't and getting an abortion, or even a perfectly normal, reasoning member of society who just loathes the idea of having children or doesn't think it's the right time-- I can't judge these people for their decisions. But to test for gender implies that you're willing to have a baby and you're capable of having a baby-- but you don't want that baby. And that pisses me off a lot. In fact, it pisses me off so much, I started to feel a little queasy when I learned about it.

I understand pro-lifers are probably calling this hypocritical, that I'm for abortion in one case but not in another, but I feel like if you care so much about having this specific, perfect child that you have envisioned in your head, you should just go shopping for one. There's got to be some baby in some adoption agency that is exactly what you want, and that's much less morally apprehensible.
-----



with love from CRS @ 7:56 AM 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment