CRS
Chandler, Arizona, United States

There's an old saying. If you don't want someone to join a crowd, you ask them, "If everyone were jumping off of a cliff, would you?" Well, I have. So my answer would be "Yes". True story.
Profile continued . . .

ARCHIVES!
Kids And Choices in Games

Thursday, September 06, 2012

this entry brought to you by spinnerette, "ghetto love"


If you want to frustrate the crap out of yourself, be in the room when a child plays a video game with any choices whatsoever, no matter how obviously inconsequential. My daughter's friend was over and they were playing Animal Crossing. She'd just started the game, and a character asked her "Do you have any money?" And the options were "None" and "A little". And she just sits there.

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PICK!!"

"Well, sweetie," I say. "Do you have any money? Pick the truth."

"I DON'T KNOW IF I DO!!"

"Well then pick 'none'," I say.

"BUT WHAT IF I REALLY DO!"

Oh for god's sakes, then just sit there forever until the end of eternity with the screen forever on "None/ A little" and starve to death from your inability to answer a frigging hypothetical question that, even if it had consequences in the game, which it doesn't, will have no consequence in real life.

I should also say that Celest, my daughter, is absolutely no better at this, and nearly refused to answer the question "I have a crush on you. Do you have a crush on me?" in another game.
------



with love from CRS @ 8:38 AM 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment